When you enlist someone to carry out a restoration on your roof, you’re entrusting them to look after your biggest asset – your home.
At Globalcote, we’ve worked with hundreds of applicators and roof restoration companies over the years. So, we’ve put together this blog to share some of the most common roof restoration issues that can occur when you don’t pick an experienced, licensed and professional restoration company.
We’ve also launched a new service to help match homeowners with some of our trusted applicators to help avoid these pitfalls. Find out more about our Applicator Referral Service here .
Common Roof Restoration Issues
In our experience, homeowners face problems when restorers:
1. Roof surface not prepared properly:
Preparation is one of the most important steps in coating any surface and needs to be done well for the best results (adhesion, durability and aesthetics).
Any surface must be sound and cleaned thoroughly using a high-pressure cleaner before any coating is applied.
2. Not using the right products for the job:
This might sound obvious, but preparation is key and using inferior products will mean your roof restoration won’t last as long.
At Globalcote, the trusted applicators we work with, are familiar with our wide range of durable coatings, such as:
- Primecote – used to seal and prime surface. Our standard option is suitable for both metal and tile roofs, and our high build option is better for extremely pourous tile roofs.
- Infracote – Our environmentally-friendly roof membrane is designed to reflect the sun’s radiation away from the roof surface which helps reduce heat penetration and cooling costs.
- Elastacote – Our standard membrane available in high gloss or mid lustre finishes, which is durable and adaptable to extremes of hot and cold temperatures.
- Clearcote – our protective top coat, which is suitable for concrete roof surfaces, as well as metal, zincalume and Colorbond® roof surfaces.
3. Not using enough product:
If an applicator doesn’t use enough of the product required, the coating will be more likely to fail or last as long.
We have a roof paint calculator which offers guidance to our homeowners and applicators and helps to ensure the right amount of a product is being purchased.
Also, if you use our roof applicator referral service, the Globalcote team will calculate the correct amount of product required so you can confident that the restoration team are doing a quality job.
4. Don’t use roof specific coatings and membranes:
A roof is exposed to the elements 24/7, which means the products required to protect it need to be more durable than those used for other parts of a home. So a standard paint won’t cut it.
At Globalcote, our speciality water based 100% acrylic membranes are designed for roofs – Infracote and Elastacote – have been designed meet Australian standards AS/NZS 4858 and AS 4654. Plus, they have low water absorption, are self-cleaning, durable and highly flexible.
Finding A Professional Roof Restorer
Have you got more questions about roof restorations, or would you like to take advantage of our applicator referral service?
Please contact Globalcote today on 1300 928 826.
Globalcote is fast becoming a leader in the manufacture of specialty acrylic exterior coatings. We have an extensive product range available is a wide variety of colours.
We have an enviable reputation trusted amongst professional tradespeople and paint retailers Australia wide and supply a wide network of retail stores throughout Australia.
For an Australian owned and operated company thinking globally and acting locally, call Globalcote on 1300 928 826.