If you’ve just had a new structure built, or renovations done, you might be wondering how to apply paint to new timber surfaces.
Let the coating experts from Globalcote help!
Before you get too excited and start applying coatings, it’s important to check that your surface is dry, clean, free from surface contamination and sound (this last one shouldn’t be an issue if the surface you’re painting is newly built!)
In this blog we include information about how to prepare your timber, which Globalcote Products are suitable (including links to our online shop), and how many coats to apply.
Preparing New Timber for Painting
Preparation is key for any painting project, so before you get started make sure you’ve got all the tools you need.
For timber, you’ll require sandpaper, drop sheets, masking tape, a broad paint brush, filler and knife and all the Globalcote products you intend to use.
- Step 1: Wash down the surface to ensure it is dirt-free.
- Step 2: Fill any holes or imperfections with an appropriate filler.
- Step 3: Lightly sand the entire surface down.
- Step 4: Brush any dust off.
Once you’ve carried out the above steps you can apply your coatings.
New Timber Surfaces: Painting Application Guide
*EXPERT TIP: When applying coatings to new timber, ensure you paint in the direction of the grain.
For NEW AND/OR UNPAINTED EXTERIOR timber surfaces, we recommend applying:
- Two (2) coats of Elements Exterior finish for maximum durability.
For NEW AND/OR UNPAINTED INTERIOR timber surfaces, we recommend applying:
- Two (2) coats of Elements Interior finish for maximum durability.
- When painting over very dark colours or rough surfaces, a third coat of Elements maybe required.
- When painting over high-staining timber (e.g. cedar) 3 in 1 Multi-Prep will be required to stop tannin staining.
How to Apply Paint to New Timber Surfaces
If you have any questions for the coatings experts at Globalcote, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on 1300 928 826.
Globalcote is fast becoming a leader in the manufacture of specialty acrylic exterior coatings. We have an extensive product range available is a wide variety of colours.
We have an enviable reputation trusted amongst professional tradespeople and paint retailers Australia wide and supply a wide network of retail stores throughout Australia.
For an Australian owned and operated company thinking globally and acting locally, call Globalcote on 1300 928 826.